Non Medical Prescribing Update for Nurse/Pharmacist/AHP Independent & Supplementary Prescribers (V300/200)
(Up to 35 delegates)
This is in-house training – we come to your organisation and deliver to your staff on an agreed date at a venue chosen and arranged by you. All participants will receive training materials and certificates of attendance.
The Course Aim
Assist participants to ensure they are up to date with the latest developments in NMP, thus enabling them to use their prescribing skills to maximise patient care.
By the end of the session participants will have an increased understanding of:
- Legislation of Non Medical Prescribing
- The NMC / GPhC / HCPC Standards for nurse, pharmacist & AHP prescribers
- Prescribing unlicensed & off-label medicines
- Mixing medicines
- Controlled drug prescribing
- Using the 2016 RPS (updated) Single Competency Framework for all Prescribers
• Update and latest developments in NMP
• Review of recent NMC fitness to practice hearings involving NMPs.
• Tools to help you prescribe safely.
• Useful tips on using the BNF
• Update on legislation including prescribing controlled drugs
• Prescribing for children & pregnant women
• Discussion on competency, with practical opportunity to use the new RPS Competency Framework
• Repeat prescribing & keeping up to date.
• Scenario’s for group work discussion.
Our trainer Fiona Peniston-Bird BSc (Hons) RHV RGN NIP PGCHE FHEA, has been involved in Non Medical Prescribing since 1999 when she became a Community Practitioner Formulary Nurse Prescriber whilst working as a Health Visitor. She trained as a Nurse Independent Prescriber in 2002 and subsequently took a post as Non Medical Prescribing Facilitator within South East Coast Strategic Health Authority in 2003. Fiona founded nmprescribing in 2007. She is the Prescribing Lead for Nurses on the Independent / Supplementary Prescribing Programme at Medway School of Pharmacy and a support tutor for the same course with University of Nottingham. Fiona is an external examiner for all of the prescribing courses at University of Hertfordshire. She is a member of the editorial board for the Nurse Prescribing journal and sits on the BNF Nurse Prescribers Advisory Group, who review the NPF. Fiona recently completed bespoke NMP project work for Health Education Kent, Surrey & Sussex and Health Education England.