(Up to 35 delegates)
This is in-house training – we come to your organisation and deliver to your staff on an agreed date at a venue chosen and arranged by you. All participants will receive training materials and certificates of attendance.
To update participants in a variety of medicines management issues to improve safety and efficacy of medicines for patients whilst building on participant’s personal experience and knowledge.
By the end of the session participants will have an increased understanding of:
• The role of the law in relation to medicines management
• Accountability in relation to medicines management & the role of the NMC / own regulatory body
• The need for approved processes & protocols in the work place relating to medicines management
• What defines a legal prescription and who can prescribe
• The parameters of Patient Group Directions
• The need for informed consent and empowering patients relating to their medicines
• Recent medicines management issues
• Introduction to the Medicines Act 1968 and the Misuse of Drugs Act 1972
• Accountability, NMC, regulatory body and Codes / Standards of Practice
• Accountability relating to Medicines Management in the workplace eg the role of Foundation Trusts
• Who can prescribe
• Patient Group Directions
• Administering medicines – consent
• Checks before administering medicines
• Medicines in an emergency
• How to obtain information about medicines
Our trainer Marion Russell BSc (Hons) RN Cert Ed (FE) Cert Health Promotion has been involved in medicines management training since 2003 in the acute, mental health and primary care setting. This includes running medicines management updates for groups of registered nurses, including return to practice nurses, overseas nurses and midwives. She has also trained pharmacists, AHPs, operating department practitioners, healthcare assistants and dental nurses.